Martin Wigram

Right-hand Bat

Right Arm Medium

Debut: 21.05.1977

House: Grove

At LP: 1959-1964

Please reload

J. Martin Wigram was one of the co-founders of the club back on 27 February 1977. It was as a result of his suggestion the previous year that the O.L’s might go on a tour that the inaugural meeting was arranged with Graham Carter, who in the previous years had been running the annual game with the School. The two met at the Jolly Farmer at Puttenham, near Guildford and the club was born with Graham as Secretary and Martin as Fixture Secretary.

In his school days Martin had been both batsman and opening bowler with his familiar action of bowling off the wrong foot and in the interim 16 years  before the OLCC was  formed he played club cricket in Kent, but never adjusted his bowling action. He was a regular member of our club during the first two years and played in all 8 games of the 1977 season.

A move to Bristol followed which restricted his appearances for the club and as a result he only played a total of 12 games. He has however maintained his links with the club and has attended our annual dinners from time to time over the ensuing years.

His foresight back in the 1970’s suggesting extra fixtures in addition to the historic annual encounter with the School resulted in the formation of this club, and for that our very existence owes much to him.

GWVC

FIND US
ADDRESS

Leighton Park School

Shinfield Road
Reading
RG2 7ED

SOCIAL
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
WEATHER